Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Joystick Controls Twitchy Steering Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Testers
  • Interests:Autocombat, alternative energy and transportation, mind expansion, music, etc
  • Favorite Gamemode:Battle

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

I've noticed that the steering is a little too sensitive, ie no dead zone, when using joystick controls. This makes it damn hard to drive in a straight line. I had gotten used to it and it wasn't bothering me too much, just made it more of a challenge, but my buddy pointed it out and it really bothered him. It's not related to the joystick because it happens on 3 different ones. The cars drive straight as an arrow when using keyboard controls. I tried messing with any kind of setting I could get my fingers on but to no avail. Is there something I can do about this.
'73 charger with a nosecone and wing (superbird style). 4wd, 4 wheel disc, and 4 wheel independent suspension via two FWD V6 (SC or TC approx 350 HP) drivetrains, one in front one in back with independent throttle control. One day maybe. Maybe just another pipe dream.

#2 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Autocombat, alternative energy and transportation, mind expansion, music, etc

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

I found the deadzone setting in the logitech software (don't know how I missed em before), but they did not help. Will have to try my other joysticks when I can and see since the one I have here is a $5 used one for a second hand store.
'73 charger with a nosecone and wing (superbird style). 4wd, 4 wheel disc, and 4 wheel independent suspension via two FWD V6 (SC or TC approx 350 HP) drivetrains, one in front one in back with independent throttle control. One day maybe. Maybe just another pipe dream.

#3 User is offline   Chael 

• Handywandy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Developers
  • Favorite Gamemode:Don't know

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

I have my controls set up like this:

w - gas
a - yaw left / steer left
s - reverse
d - yaw right / steer right
joyX+ - pitch forward
joyX- - pitch back
joyY+ - roll right
joyY- - roll left

This setup seems to be perfect for the mod, but if you really want analog steering you're gonna have to figure something out. I'm pretty sure there are some 3rd party tools that will give you the dead zone you need; search around.

By the way, why not ask your friend if he wants to test with us? Showing up and messing around is all it takes really.

#4 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

I can't live without analog driving controls (although I have tried the mod with the keyboard and it was not too bad). I have shelved badly ported games that I just bought because of a lack of analog controls. I'm curious, is no one else using an analog controller? And are they having the same problems?

I will mention to my buddy if he wants to join the tests, I have been meaning to.

#5 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

I've sort of made some kinda progress on this, but not looking too good. I set my dead zone to 30% and driving is still like balancing on the head of a pin. When I set it to 100% to confirm deadzone is working I have no steering, which I would expect, but my cars drift left, which I find odd. Have yet to try with another joystick.

#6 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

I should add that my cars drift left regardless of the deadzone setting and joystick calibration. If I unplug the joystick and just use keys my cars still drift left until I restart with no joystick plugged in.

#7 User is offline   Chael 

• Handywandy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Which joystick are you using? I would go to the joystick properties and make sure it doesn't flip out when you move the stick (dirty potentiometers). Definitely try another stick.

#8 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostChael, on 19 April 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Which joystick are you using? I would go to the joystick properties and make sure it doesn't flip out when you move the stick (dirty potentiometers). Definitely try another stick.

It's a Wingman Extreme 3D digital. I cleaned the pots. Also on the calibrate screen it's pretty stable. I will try another stick when I can.

#9 User is offline   Chael 

• Handywandy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'm testing this with my joystick right now (logitech attack 3). I haven't messed with the sensitivity yet, but so far it sucks. I CAN drive in a straight line though, as long as I keep the stick still. Anyway, it occurs to me that your joystick might have a yaw control (twist the stick). Is this what you're using to steer? Exactly how are your controls set up?

I do remember noticing that the pony likes to drift to one side; I don't want to rule out the car physics as the problem. Our cars are set up to slide a lot, which might not be great with a joystick. Have you tried driving the BF2 vehicles with this configuration? How does the (stock) dpv drive?

#10 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostChael, on 20 April 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'm testing this with my joystick right now (logitech attack 3). I haven't messed with the sensitivity yet, but so far it sucks. I CAN drive in a straight line though, as long as I keep the stick still. Anyway, it occurs to me that your joystick might have a yaw control (twist the stick). Is this what you're using to steer? Exactly how are your controls set up?

I do remember noticing that the pony likes to drift to one side; I don't want to rule out the car physics as the problem. Our cars are set up to slide a lot, which might not be great with a joystick. Have you tried driving the BF2 vehicles with this configuration? How does the (stock) dpv drive?

I steer with the x-axis. I will be able to try another joystick tonight and while I'm at it I will try disabling the yaw axis (twist) and see if it makes a difference. I will also try vanilla vehicles.

#11 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

I tried on another joystick (and a different computer) last night and it all worked fine. 10% deadzone and the cars were not too difficult to control. I've brought the joystick to try on my other machine. Last night I was testing on rev 501 so unless the physics have been changed since then they are fine.

#12 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

Interesting results. Different computer (64 bit win 7 latest rev), same joystick (one that worked fine on XP machine under rev 501)... no deadzone and pitch maps but doesn't work. I updated the joystick software to no avail.

Will work on this more when I have time. I have a 3rd machine which has XP and I will update to latest rev. Probably what I will be using this Sat.

#13 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

View PostFixx, on 26 April 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

Interesting results. Different computer (64 bit win 7 latest rev), same joystick (one that worked fine on XP machine under rev 501)... no deadzone and pitch maps but doesn't work. I updated the joystick software to no avail.

Will work on this more when I have time. I have a 3rd machine which has XP and I will update to latest rev. Probably what I will be using this Sat.

On my second XP machine I have pitch control but no deadzone (logitech S/W version 4.40)
On this XP machine I have no pitch control and no deadzone (logitech S/W version 4.40)

Was using same joystick, only different between the machines is the mod version.

I will probably just go out and buy another brand of joystick and see how that works. If anyone has a suggestion it would be appreciated.

#14 User is offline   Corona 

• Luggage
  • Pip
  • Group: Contributors
  • Favorite Gamemode:Racing

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostFixx, on 28 April 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

I will probably just go out and buy another brand of joystick and see how that works. If anyone has a suggestion it would be appreciated.

I've been using a Logitech Xtreme 3d Pro with bf2 for many years now, although I dont use it for nitro because I don't like to control ground vehicles with joystick. IMO its the best one for bf2 but thats just me. (And its cheap)

#15 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostCorona, on 28 April 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

I've been using a Logitech Xtreme 3d Pro with bf2 for many years now, although I dont use it for nitro because I don't like to control ground vehicles with joystick. IMO its the best one for bf2 but thats just me. (And its cheap)

I'm hoping for something that will give me pitch and deadzone on all machines. I currently have 4 different rigs I am running this on (and yes, I have more than enough licensed BF2's bought solely because of this mod). I REALLY prefer analog control for driving so keyboard is out of the question (I will live with no pitch and/or deadzone first).

#16 User is offline   Corona 

• Luggage
  • Pip
  • Group: Contributors
  • Favorite Gamemode:Racing

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

The extreme 3d pro comes with logitech profiler software and you can set dead zones and sensitivy for all three axis's.

#17 User is offline   Fixx 

• Driver
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostCorona, on 03 May 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

The extreme 3d pro comes with logitech profiler software and you can set dead zones and sensitivy for all three axis's.

Yes, I have tried that and, oddly, it seems to have no effect at 30% but gives no response at 100%. I got it to work on 1 (the win 7 machine) out of 4 machines with 1 (the 3d pro) out of 3 joysticks (all logitech). All other combos are missing deadzone and some also don't have pitch control.

Edit ...
I've made significant progress on this. I'm at the win 7 machine now with a 3d pro and I noticed that with my online account my pitch did not work but it did with my offline account (I just found out last test that i don't need the online account to connect). I reset all the controls in vanilla BF2 and mapped them in the mod. Still had no pitch until I removed falcon axis as alt control for pitch. Now pitch works fine. My pitch problem was tied to my online account and followed me to some machines but not others (some don't have internet).

WRT the deadzone problem, I have the latest logitech driver on this machine (5.10) and older ones (4.40) on the other machines. I'm hoping this will fix it.

Setting that work good so far are sensitivity of 30% with a deadzone of 15% and a range of 100%.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users